Basically... colour me underwhelmed.
So. The Pond's final farewell. I was mostly okay with their exit in TGC, despite the fact that they didn't leave of their own volition.
Things I liked:
- Amy's Harry Potter specs
- Acknowledgement that Bad Things Happen when the Doctor travels alone. (Except during that 200 year period in which he did just that I guess)
- Amy and Rory living out their lives together
Things I didn't like:
- Amy ages, but I guess Rory doesn't?
- I don't really get the whole "time can be rewritten" schtick. Why keep repeating that if it's not actually possible FFS. Is it supposed to be ~poignant when it can't be changed or something?
- Everyone in this ep was so dumb
. Like, since when are chapter titles considered spoiler free? Why did Rory's mind not immediately jump to his freaking DAUGHTER when he saw the name "Melody"? Why did everyone need multiple explanations of what the angels do to you?
- River was kind of a bag of crazy too. Remember ladies, self-harm is always okay when it's for the benefit of your man! Just don't let him ~see the damages~! What's with this idea that Eleven's delicate feelings must be protected? NTM the idea that he shouldn't use his regeneration energy to help someone he loves? DNW.
- New York felt really under-used tbh. Dare I say that Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks did it better? (Also, why do all alien races decide to take Manhattan? I guess "The Angels Take the Bronx" doesn't have quite the same ring to it)
All in all...
Once again, Moffat disappoints. News at eleven.